Skip to main content

Seeing the Oneness in Creation - Kanda Guru Kavacham

Kanda Guru Kavacham is a prayer of deep love and devotion dedicated to Lord Muruga.  It was composed by Sri Saanthaanantha Swaamigal who is a great saint and devotee of Lord SkandaSri Saanthaanantha Swaamigal established a temple called Skandasramam in Salem, India. Lord Muruga or Lord Skanda or Karthikeya is the son of Shiva. He is a dharma guardian. When you reach out to him with a sincere heart and mind, he will reach out to you to fill you with inner wisdom, protect and guide you in the right path. He is revered not only in Hinduism but also in Mahayana Buddhism. In Mahayana Buddhism, Skanda or Weituo Boddhisattva is the dharma guardian of monasteries and religious education. 

Chanting Kanda Guru Kavacham fills me with a deep peace of mind and an inexpressible happiness. It teaches me how to pray to God and see the Oneness in all creation. Who is God? Is God someone up in the heavens with a white beard, or is he just within the stone idols in our temples. God is the pulsating, all-encompassing intelligence in this entire universe. Yet he is also within each one of us. The following verses exemplify how Skanda will help us reach the truth of oneness. 

அஞ்ஞானமும் அகற்றி அருள் ஒளியும் காட்டும்
ஞான ஸ்கந்தகுரு நானென்று முன்நிற்பன்
உள்ளொளி யாயிருந்து உன்னில் அவனாகிடுவன்
(Skanda) will drive away your ignorance and reveal himself as inner light within you
And the Jnana Skanda will stand in front of you.
He would be within you and become your inner light(wisdom).

Pay close attention to the lines below. What is Oneness ? The following lines are the essence of Advaita or non-duality.

தன்னில் உனைக்காட்டி உன்னில் தனைக்காட்டி
எங்கும் தனைக்காட்டி எங்குமுனைக் காட்டிடுவன்
ஸ்கந்தஜோதியான கந்தன் கந்தகிரியிலிருந்து
தண்டாயுதம் தாங்கித் தருகிறான் காட்சியுமே
He will show himself in you and you in himself.
He would show himself everywhere and show you everywhere.
He would show himself everywhere and show you in everything everywhere.
The kanda who is the Sknda flame would from Skanda giri,
Carry his stick (dharma symbol) and would show you divine vision (inner wisdom).

And again:
காண்பன யாவுமாய்க் கண்கண்ட தெய்வமாய்
வேதச் சுடரோய் மெய்கண்ட தெய்வமே
மித்தையாம் இவ்வுலகை மித்தையென் றறிந்திடச்செய்
You have become what all I see, You are the God that I can see with my eyes. 
Oh God, you have found the truth by becoming flame of Veda (symbolic)
Make me understand that this illusory world is but an illusion.

The same verses are also beautifully reflected in Adi Sankaracharya's Bhaja Govindam 

त्वयि मयि चान्यत्रैको विष्णु-
र्व्यर्थं कुप्यसि मय्यसहि
ष्णुः ।
भव समचित्तः सर्वत्र त्वं
वाञ्छस्यचिराद्यदि विष्णुत्वम् ॥ २४॥ 

In me, in you and in everything, none but the same Vishnu
dwells. Your anger and impatience is meaningless. If you wish to
attain the status of Vishnu, have samabhAva, equanimity, always.

शत्रौ मित्रे पुत्रे बन्धौ
मा कुरु यत्नं विग्रहसन्धौ ।
सर्वस्मिन्नपि पश्यात्मानं
सर्वत्रोत्सृज भेदाज्ञानम् ॥ २५॥ 

Waste not your efforts to win the love of or to fight against friend 
and foe, children and relatives. See yourself in everyone and give up all feelings of duality completely.

Hari Om !! Tat Sat !!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kandha Guru Kavacham

One of my favorite chants is Kandha Guru Kavacham. It is dedicated to Lord Karthikeya also called Lord Muruga. Lord Karthikeya is the son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Paravathi. He is the brother of Lord Ganesha.  Kanda Guru Kavacham is a very long chant in Tamil dedicated to Lord Muruga. It is a prayer asking for protection and guidance from Lord Muruga. Here is the link to the English translation of the chant. http://www.skandagurunatha.org/…/sk…/skanda-guru-kavasam.pdf The root mantra in this chant is  ஓம் ஸெளம் சரவணபவ ஸ்ரீம் ஹ்ரீம் க்லீம்  க்லௌம் ஸெளம் நம "Om Soum Saravana Bhava Sreem Hreem Kleem Kloum Soum Namaha" "Om" is the pranava mantra. Saravana in reference for God. Soum, Sreem, Hreem, Kleem and Kloum are Bija mantras. Bija mantras or seed mantras are one-syllable seed sounds that activate the energy of the chakras i n order to purify and balance the mind and body. When you chant the bija mantras, you resonate with the energy of the associated chakra,

The Mystical Shiva Lingam

It was Dec 11th, 2019. A month before my toe bunion surgery. I had started a major kitchen remodeling project that had turned into a fiasco. My mother was visiting me from India to help me recuperate from my surgery. I was in deep turmoil wondering how I would manage surgery, mom without a fully functional kitchen. All the appliances had been ripped off and the contractor was not motivated to complete the project. I also had other challenges going on in my personal life. My mind was in turmoil. I prayed to the Almighty for guidance and solace.  One of my ex-colleagues, Anmolji, was an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva and Ramana Maharishi. We had exchanged a few emails and interacted across various discussion forums. On Dec 11th, 2019 Anmolji told me he would call me after he finished chanting Rudram. Rudram is a divine chant to Lord Shiva. He called me up and suddenly at the start of the conversation he exclaimed loudly, "Laksh I cannot believe my eyes. Let me send you a picture. Can

My Brush with COVID-19

 After nearly two and a half years I decided to visit my parents in Chennai in Dec 2021. It was meant to be a short two week trip. I landed in Chennai the day after Christmas. Unfortunately on Jan 2nd my Dad tested positive for COVID. Although his symptoms were mild, I was advised to rush him to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Due to his age and co morbidities he was admitted in the hospital and his treatment was started immediately. Within two days I also tested positive for COVID. Although outwardly it may seem like we were in great suffering inwardly this was a good period for spiritual observation and growth. Let me share the spiritual insights I gained during this tumultuous period through this blog post.  With the onset of COVID my body ached like never before. It was 1000 times worse than the body pain caused during flu. I had done the Vipassana meditation retreat where we are taught to impersonally observe our body sensations and understand the habit patterns of the mi