Skip to main content

The Mystical Shiva Lingam


It was Dec 11th, 2019. A month before my toe bunion surgery. I had started a major kitchen remodeling project that had turned into a fiasco. My mother was visiting me from India to help me recuperate from my surgery. I was in deep turmoil wondering how I would manage surgery, mom without a fully functional kitchen. All the appliances had been ripped off and the contractor was not motivated to complete the project. I also had other challenges going on in my personal life. My mind was in turmoil. I prayed to the Almighty for guidance and solace. 

One of my ex-colleagues, Anmolji, was an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva and Ramana Maharishi. We had exchanged a few emails and interacted across various discussion forums. On Dec 11th, 2019 Anmolji told me he would call me after he finished chanting Rudram. Rudram is a divine chant to Lord Shiva. He called me up and suddenly at the start of the conversation he exclaimed loudly, "Laksh I cannot believe my eyes. Let me send you a picture. Can you spot what I am seeing? It is unbelievable !!! ". Out of nowhere he had spotted a Shiva Lingam in his office campus in Austin, Texas. Unbelievable !!! See the red square in the picture below.





A closer view:



Anmolji and I were astounded. Where and how did this Lingam come from? Did someone leave it there? But why would they do it in the office campus of all places !! I told Anmolji, "Take the lingam with you. When I come to visit Austin I will take it from you". We had a long wonderful conversation on spirituality and both of us felt grace of Lord Shiva pouring into us. I felt very comforted after talking to him and realized all the troubles are just passing clouds. 

2020 was a year like none other. The COVID pandemic started in March 2020. I had just recovered from my surgery and when I was about to return to work, the first historical lockdown in California was imposed by Governor Newsom. I was worried about my mom's health so I was extra cautious during the pandemic, my father was alone in India. 2020 was a roller coaster year for me. The recovery from my surgery took much longer than expected, I got laid off. The grace of Lord Shiva and Lord Karthikeya sustained me in my lowest moments. 

I could not go to Austin in 2020 or 2021. Travel was not easy during the pandemic. Just before 2021 Shasthi, an auspicious day for the devotees of Lord Karthikeya during which we chant and fast, I asked Anmolji if he could ship me the Lingam. I wanted to invite some devotees home for a Kanda Guru and Kanda Shasti chanting session. Since this would be the first time I would be holding a chanting session for Shasti, I thought I will also do Abhishekam for this mystical Lingam. Abhishekam is the Hindu ritual by which we lovingly pour milk, honey and water over the idol. I am not too much into idol worship but the Lingam was a symbol of hope for me. Anmolji promptly shipped the Lingam to me and a day before Shasti the Lingam arrived beautifully wrapped in a red cloth. I was overjoyed. Anmolji would not allow me to even pay for the shipment. This was Anmolji's response when I pestered him few more times.

Dear Laksh, 

   The lingam is His response to your यातना (torment, anguish) - (remember your plight then) - that is Him manifesting to >>you<< - you told me to pick it for you - so my job is to keep it safe - meaning, He only keeps it safe - but my dharma becomes to keep it safe:

धर्मएव हतो हंति
>>धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः<<।
तस्मा धर्मो न हंतव्यो
मानो धर्मो हतो वधीत्॥

dharma destroyers the destroyer of dharma
dharma protects the protector of dharma|
therefore protect i.e. uphold dharma
and prevent your destruction i.e. ensure your own preservation at the hands of dharma||

So, Lakshmi, the linga will come and reside on your altar, by The Grace of Shri Ramana. Remain steady in the assurance that Sri Bhagavan will guide your striving, and will accept your aradhana. Remain steady, …
…, Remain steady.

Yesterday  I took the Lingam to Concord Hindu temple and asked the priest to perform Prana Prathistha. Prāṇa pratiṣṭhā refers to the rite or ceremony by which a murti is consecrated in a Hindu temple, wherein hymns and mantra are recited to invite the deity to be resident guest, and the murti's eye is opened for the first time.


Prana Prathistha of the Shiva Lingam


The mystical Lingam was consecrated at the feet of Lord Karthikeya today. I was overjoyed. The priest kindly blessed me and gave me the Lingam. I feel so honored to place it in my altar. The mystical Lingam is a symbol of hope for me. A comforting sign from the Almighty that He is always there no matter what. It is a reminder for me to be more disciplined about my life and sincere in my sadhana. 





I will end this blog with some beautiful verses from Kanda Guru Kavacham, one of my favorite chants to Lord Skanda.

அறிவொளியாய் வந்து நீ அகக்கண்ணைத் திறந்திடுவாய்
திருச்செந்தூர் ஷண்முகனே ஜகத்குருவிற் கருளியவா
ஜகத்குரோ சிவகுமரா சித்தமலம் அகற்றிடுவாய்
செங்கோட்டு வேலவனே சிவானுபூதி தாரும்
சிக்கல் சிங்காரா ஜீவனைச் சிவனாக்கிடுவாய்

Come to me as knowledge and open my inner eye,
The six faced Lord of Thiruchendur, who is the teacher of the world,
Oh teacher of the world, Son of Lord Shiva, remove the dirt in my mind
Oh holder of the Vel of Shiva, give me the grace of Lord Shiva
Oh Singara Vela of Chikkal, make my soul that of Lord Shiva.

Om Nama Shivaya. 🙏 Om Nama Shivaya 🙏 Om Nama Shivaya. 🙏
Har Har Mahadev. 🙏🙏🙏


Comments

  1. Beautifully written Lakshmi, It's been a while since I read a blog. Thank you for sharing these moments of your life. It kept me engrossed and curious as to what happens next. Just like you, still can't believe that the "Shiv Ling" is for real
    Will look forward to your next post 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kandha Guru Kavacham

One of my favorite chants is Kandha Guru Kavacham. It is dedicated to Lord Karthikeya also called Lord Muruga. Lord Karthikeya is the son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Paravathi. He is the brother of Lord Ganesha.  Kanda Guru Kavacham is a very long chant in Tamil dedicated to Lord Muruga. It is a prayer asking for protection and guidance from Lord Muruga. Here is the link to the English translation of the chant. http://www.skandagurunatha.org/…/sk…/skanda-guru-kavasam.pdf The root mantra in this chant is  ஓம் ஸெளம் சரவணபவ ஸ்ரீம் ஹ்ரீம் க்லீம்  க்லௌம் ஸெளம் நம "Om Soum Saravana Bhava Sreem Hreem Kleem Kloum Soum Namaha" "Om" is the pranava mantra. Saravana in reference for God. Soum, Sreem, Hreem, Kleem and Kloum are Bija mantras. Bija mantras or seed mantras are one-syllable seed sounds that activate the energy of the chakras i n order to purify and balance the mind and body. When you chant the bija mantras, you resonate with the energy of the associated chakra,

My Brush with COVID-19

 After nearly two and a half years I decided to visit my parents in Chennai in Dec 2021. It was meant to be a short two week trip. I landed in Chennai the day after Christmas. Unfortunately on Jan 2nd my Dad tested positive for COVID. Although his symptoms were mild, I was advised to rush him to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Due to his age and co morbidities he was admitted in the hospital and his treatment was started immediately. Within two days I also tested positive for COVID. Although outwardly it may seem like we were in great suffering inwardly this was a good period for spiritual observation and growth. Let me share the spiritual insights I gained during this tumultuous period through this blog post.  With the onset of COVID my body ached like never before. It was 1000 times worse than the body pain caused during flu. I had done the Vipassana meditation retreat where we are taught to impersonally observe our body sensations and understand the habit patterns of the mi