Skip to main content

Kandha Guru Kavacham

One of my favorite chants is Kandha Guru Kavacham. It is dedicated to Lord Karthikeya also called Lord Muruga. Lord Karthikeya is the son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Paravathi. He is the brother of Lord Ganesha. 


Image result for lord muruga


Kanda Guru Kavacham is a very long chant in Tamil dedicated to Lord Muruga. It is a prayer asking for protection and guidance from Lord Muruga. Here is the link to the English translation of the chant.
http://www.skandagurunatha.org/…/sk…/skanda-guru-kavasam.pdf

The root mantra in this chant is 
ஓம் ஸெளம் சரவணபவ ஸ்ரீம் ஹ்ரீம் க்லீம் க்லௌம் ஸெளம் நம
"Om Soum Saravana Bhava Sreem Hreem Kleem Kloum Soum Namaha"

"Om" is the pranava mantra. Saravana in reference for God. Soum, Sreem, Hreem, Kleem and Kloum are Bija mantras. Bija mantras or seed mantras are one-syllable seed sounds that activate the energy of the chakras in order to purify and balance the mind and body. When you chant the bija mantras, you resonate with the energy of the associated chakra, helping you focus upon your own instinctive awareness of your body and its needs. Mantras are nothing but sound vibrations. So when you chant these Bija mantras with the Pranava mantra, Om, with full sincerity, devotion and concentration you resonate with the primary vibrational frequency of the universe. You body, mind and thoughts are cleansed preparing you for a higher plane.

    A little more about the pranava mantra "Om". "Om" is regarded as the pranava mantra or the fundamental basis for the entire universe. It is the combination of three main sounds - Aaa, Uuu, Mmm..pronounced together as Aum. It is the primary, all encompassing, vibrational frequency of the universe. There is a line in Skanda Guru Kavacham that talks about Om:

அன்பே ஓமெனும் அருள்மந்திரம் என்றாய்
You told that love is the holy chant Om 

   The famous neurosurgeon, Dr Eben Alexander, has written about "Om" in his book "Proof of Heaven". Dr Eben Alexander is not a quack but a highly qualified neurosurgeon. He had graduated from some of the most prestigious medical schools. He developed a serious brain infection and underwent a near death experience . In his book "Proof of Heaven" he talks about his near death experience. Here is an excerpt from his book which you will find very interesting:
"I will occasionally use Om as the pronoun for God because I originally used that name in my writings after my coma. “Om” was the sound I remembered hearing associated with that omniscient, omnipotent, and unconditionally loving God, but any descriptive word falls short. The pure vastness separating Om and me was, I realized, why I had the Orb as my companion." from "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife" by Eben Alexander III M.D.


Comments

  1. Nice write up...
    Here are couple of links on om and how om enhances turia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZVTuI-rfX4

    Dr. Evan Thompson: "Waking, Dreaming, Being"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StG-dmBWu7k


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystical Shiva Lingam

It was Dec 11th, 2019. A month before my toe bunion surgery. I had started a major kitchen remodeling project that had turned into a fiasco. My mother was visiting me from India to help me recuperate from my surgery. I was in deep turmoil wondering how I would manage surgery, mom without a fully functional kitchen. All the appliances had been ripped off and the contractor was not motivated to complete the project. I also had other challenges going on in my personal life. My mind was in turmoil. I prayed to the Almighty for guidance and solace.  One of my ex-colleagues, Anmolji, was an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva and Ramana Maharishi. We had exchanged a few emails and interacted across various discussion forums. On Dec 11th, 2019 Anmolji told me he would call me after he finished chanting Rudram. Rudram is a divine chant to Lord Shiva. He called me up and suddenly at the start of the conversation he exclaimed loudly, "Laksh I cannot believe my eyes. Let me send you a picture. Can

My Brush with COVID-19

 After nearly two and a half years I decided to visit my parents in Chennai in Dec 2021. It was meant to be a short two week trip. I landed in Chennai the day after Christmas. Unfortunately on Jan 2nd my Dad tested positive for COVID. Although his symptoms were mild, I was advised to rush him to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Due to his age and co morbidities he was admitted in the hospital and his treatment was started immediately. Within two days I also tested positive for COVID. Although outwardly it may seem like we were in great suffering inwardly this was a good period for spiritual observation and growth. Let me share the spiritual insights I gained during this tumultuous period through this blog post.  With the onset of COVID my body ached like never before. It was 1000 times worse than the body pain caused during flu. I had done the Vipassana meditation retreat where we are taught to impersonally observe our body sensations and understand the habit patterns of the mi